Lily & Cane bringing the romance back to daytime...

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Part Seven

Before Lily could even knock on the door it swung open and an attractive woman stepped outside practically bumping into her.

“Hey watch it,” the woman exclaimed before giving Lily the once over.

“Excuse me?” A shocked Lily replied.

The woman looked her over and continued, “aren’t you a little old to be applying for the nanny position?” Before Lily could even open her mouth she continued, “besides I’ve got this locked down...soon I’ll be taking care of the baby...” with a little smirk she added, “...and if I have my way the daddy too!!” 

Lily, silent for a moment...her eyes wide as she combed her gaze over this...woman from top to bottom, taking in the tight t-shirt...is she even wearing a bra?  “You do, do you?” She then holds out her hand to introduce herself. “We haven’t met, Lily Ashby...the daddy’s wife...and you are?”

The woman visibly pales. “J-Janie..sorry...I didn’t know he...” Her gaze jumps to the beautiful rings on Lily’s left hand, to the still open door and then back to Lily.

Lily knew for a fact that Cane still wore his rings. “You didn’t know he was married...or you didn’t care?” Thinking as she watched the young woman in front of her begin to squirm...what the fuck was with people whose names started with ‘J’ messing with their lives??!!

“I...no..I didn’t..I mean..sorry...I...” the girl continues to stammer.

Lily leans in close about to tell this woman-child to run along and that her services were not needed when Cane appears in the doorway.

“Lily!” He exclaims with a smile on his face before noticing the woman he had just interviewed was standing there too. He looks at her oddly. “Uh..Cindy, you’re still here?”

Her face turns crimson with embarrassment. “It’s Janie actually.”

Cane appears unfazed by his obvious mistake. “Oh yeah sorry about that, well thanks again for coming by and have a good day,” dismissing her with barely a glance his gaze only on Lily.  

Janie moves on down the path towards her car, glancing back she watches him cup his wife’s face...lowering his lips to hers. While feeling jealous and a bit bitter over an opportunity lost...backing her car out of the driveway she couldn’t help but admit that even a blind person could see just how in love those two are...

Meanwhile..

Cane cups Lily’s face. “Hello sweetheart.” Lowering his head, he presses his lips to hers. Breaking the kiss but keeping his head near hers, Cane strokes her cheekbone with his thumb while looking into her eyes. 

“Nothing to worry about there,” his eyes dart to the departing car. “Before I even had the chance to say thanks but no thanks, Esther came in took one look at her and said it for me! Whatever she said to you...didn’t happen.”

Lily searched his gaze and knew every word to be true but it still didn’t make the feelings that having that woman speak to her in that way invoked any easier to deal with.

Cane wrapped her in his arms, hugging her close. He felt her shiver but wasn’t sure if it was from a release of adrenaline or the cold. Playing it safe he ushered her inside.

Taking her jacket and purse from her, he sets them on the table in the entry way then linking his fingers with hers, guides her to the living room to have a seat on the couch.

“In fact,” Cane continues.  “Esther has told me that she would like to look after Sam. She was quite adamant about it actually, I think she really misses having Bella around and she really doesn’t want another stranger living in this house. Frankly I don’t blame her, I feel the same way but I was worried a baby would be too much for her to deal with on a daily basis but she says she’s up for it so we’re going to give it a try.”

Lily fiddles with a piece of lint on her sweater. “Oh, that’s um...really great I just hope you’re not doing this on my account. Sam’s care should be of the utmost importance.” 

“Lily...” Cane grabs hold of her fidgeting fingers. “I hope one day soon I will convince you of the fact that everything I do or will do is because of you and the kids. You all mean so much to me that every decision I make is because of you.”

Lily’s eyes suddenly fill with tears, refusing to let them fall she blinks several times to try and hold them back. “Where was that logic in Tokyo,” she whispers.

Cane felt those whispered words like a punch to the gut. “God Lily...it kills me everyday that I could actually have done that to you, to our family...for the life of me I don’t remember...no matter how hard I try. Anything after leaving the restaurant that night is an absolute blank. I am so sorry, you don’t know just how sorry I am....” 

A sob catches in Lily’s throat. “Cane...I didn’t mean to bring it up just now but it’s just always there under the surface and at any moment it can just claw it’s way up...”

“I know sweetheart and if I could take it away, I would. We do need to talk about it but I also think we need help with this conversation too. In the new year when we go see the Doc together, I think she could really help us navigate things.”

A noise from the hall draws their attention. 

Esther struggles with a box as she maneuvers down the stairs with it. She sees Lily and Cane sitting on the living room couch and slightly out of breath she says, “Cane I’ve tripped over this box for the last time, I’m moving it to the study so I don’t break an ankle .” Mumbling she continues, “it’s been sitting on the floor of your room for like three weeks and it’s getting annoying to clean around.”

Cane jumps up to meet her at the bottom of the stairs and says, “Esther that’s some of Juliet’s things!” He takes the box from her as Esther reaches him. “In fact I still need to...” His voice trails off as he notices Lily has come up beside him, he knows he won’t like what she has to say just by the look on her face. “Lily it’s not -.”

Lily slowly picks up her purse and jacket, eyeing the box like a pair of dirty underwear in the middle of the floor. “I get it Cane, of course you’re going to have things of Juliet’s around for Sam’s sake. Listen I need to go...I’m meeting Abby in a little while.” She moves towards the door. “Umm... Don’t forget you promised to take Mattie and Charlie on your annual Christmas Eve tubing adventure.”

“Lily...it’s -.”

“Its okay Cane, I will talk to you later, bye.”

“Lily wait!” But he was talking to the door as it quietly clicked shut behind her. 

Cane looked down at the box...that’s it he’d ignored this stuff long enough, turning to head back to his room to go through what was probably just a bunch of old B&S files once and for all...but then his phone rings and he’s needed back at Chancellor. Eyeballing the box he mumbles, “I will get to you later....” 

....

Abby was already at the table when Lily arrives at the GCAC.

“Hey!”

“Hey!” Lily returned dropping into the seat across from her.

“Thanks for meeting me.” Lily reaches for the glass Abby had waiting for her on the table. “And thank you for this cause if ever there was a time... I needed this like you wouldn’t believe.” She closes her eyes for a moment savoring the crisp taste of the wine. 

Abby gives her an I know what this is about look. “Last time we talked you and Cane were getting to a better place. Has something changed?” 

Lily looks towards the ceiling. “Urrgh..! Yes....no.... How about an inappropriate, attractive wanna be nanny named ‘Janie’.” Yeah she just used air quotes on that trick’s name. “I mean just what the hell is it with people whose names start with ‘J’ messing with our lives??!!” She waves her hands continuing, “boxes! Juliet’s of all things! I suppose I have to accept that stuff being around....but seriously it was too much today!!!”

Taking a deep breath she says, “I mean we’re trying...really trying but then something is said and a memory is triggered and all the trust issues rise to the surface once again.” 

Looking at Abby over the rim of her wine glass she continues, “I know we still have a long way to go to rebuild the trust between us but will it ever get easier? I want my happiness and security back. I’m just so sick and tired of being sad all the time!”

Abby reaches across the table and squeezes her friends hand. “Lily I wish I had some insightful  advice for you but sadly I don’t. In fact you may not even want to talk to me anymore...” Abby trails off not sure if she has the courage to spill her secret but...

Lily looks at her friend with concern and squeezes her hand in return. “Abby are you okay? If you need to talk about something...anything really you know you can talk to me. Lord knows I’ve leaned on you enough times in the past few months. Tell me,” Lily sits back to wait her friend out and sips her wine.

Deciding to just spill it Abby suddenly blurts out, “I slept with Scott Grainger!” Which causes Lily to nearly choke on her drink.

Her voice is louder than normal when she responds, “you slept with Scott Grainger??!!” Seeing Abby’s eyes become as big as saucers had Lily catching the hint to lower her voice to the level of a whisper. “Scott Grainger...as in the same Scott involved with Sharon? The same Scott who helped bring down the sex ring...that Scott??!!”

Abby rolls her eyes but nods her head that yes indeed it is that Scott and Lily continues with her barrage of questions. “When did this happen? How did this happen...I mean I know how it happens but seriously how?! Was this a one time thing or are you seeing each other behind Sharon’s back? Because Abby you deserve better than that!” 

Her problems momentarily forgotten. The list of questions coming out of Lily’s mouth continued to grow until Abby has lost track and didn’t know what to answer first. 

Finally Abby holds up her hands. “Lily stop and let me answer,” she chuckles at finally being able to get a word in. “Remember when Scott and I were trapped in that storage locker by Zach?” Lily nods. “It happened then.”

“Wait, you had storage locker sex with Scott? Was it one of those we are going to die moments of passion? Please tell me you used protection!!”

“Yes and most definitely yes!! I still find it hard to believe it even happened, like I don’t even like the guy!!”

“Well some part of you liked him....!”

Abby rolls her eyes skyward. “I know. And really I swear it was just a one time extreme circumstances kind of a thing but we have had these moments since then, like were drawn to one another and I can’t explain it.”

They both take sips of their drinks. Then Abby says, “Lily I’m sorry. I shouldn’t be sharing this with you especially after everything you have gone through with Cane. I don’t expect sympathy by any means.”

“Abby I’m not going to judge you. That would be like me throwing stones at a glass house but this isn’t the first um...other woman type of situation you have found yourself in. You deserve better than that. Sharon deserves better than that too.”

A light seems to shine above Abby’s head as an idea strikes.  “I know. You’re right. I think I’m going to talk to Scott. More than talk actually I’m going to put my foot down and demand that he make a choice, either Sharon or me!”

“Abby maybe just step back and think about it for a bit, gather your thoughts and really make sure you know exactly what you want to say to him.”

A determined Abby grabs the bill. “My treat. Call it a thank you for not judging me and letting me unburden my secret to you. And thank you for sharing your perspective, I have a lot to think about.” She gets up and slips her jacket on.

Lily stands and puts her coat on too. Abby gives her arm a gentle squeeze. “And you need to decide once and for all if you can accept Cane back in your life with Sam as part of the deal because that is the only way they come now, a package. Despite everything that baby is innocent and just needs his family to love him, no matter the circumstances of his birth all he will ever want is to be loved and accepted. Believe me, I speak from experience.”

Lily nods in agreement and they hug each other goodbye. “You’ve given me a lot to think about as well.”

“I’ll let you know how things go.” Abby heads towards the exit.

“Me too.” Lily’s phone buzzes and she reaches into her pocket to see a text from Cane. Maybe there was something she could do to help figure things out for herself.

.....

Since Cane had texted her about an hour ago to see if she was okay and to let her know that he had a last minute business dinner this evening, Lily was assured privacy when she entered the NICU to visit Sam.

The evening nurse was just testing the temperature of the baby bottle before feeding Sam when Lily walked in. “Oh hello mum,” she says softly. “I was just getting ready to give wee Sam his evening feeding but since you’re here I’m sure you would like to do it instead....?”

“Um...of course I’d be happy to give him his bottle.” Taking Sam and the bottle she settles into the chair in the room while the nurse smiles at them.

“Its so wonderful how well he’s doing, the strides he’s making everyday show just how strong he is. Well it looks like you have this under control so I will leave you to it then.” She turns to leave when Lily stops her with.

“Donna? Even though Cane told you I was...I just thought you should know Sam isn’t my son.” 

The nurse turns back to Lily with a thoughtful look on her face. Crouching down in front of her and Sam she says, “oh honey just because someone else gave birth to him doesn’t mean you aren’t any less of a mother to him. Besides in my humble opinion this boy here is truly a part of you and your husband already and just an FYI...you can make your family into anything you want it to be.  Now you enjoy your quiet time with him as I hear he will be headed home tomorrow afternoon and your household will be that much busier.” With a smile she gets back up and leaves not realizing the emotional state she left Lily in...

Looking down at a quietly feeding Sam, Lily whispers. “If only it were that simple. Is it that simple?” And for the second time that day she finds herself blinking back tears. 

Staring at Sam as he continues to devour his bottle, Lily is overcome with how much he reminds her of the twins when they were his age. “Can I be a mother to you?” She wonders aloud. “Can I accept you into my life? If I am allowing Cane to be apart of my life again, you’re now part of the package...aren’t you sweet boy.” She watches as Sam lets go of the bottle and seems to focus on her for the moment, his little hand wrapping around her pinky finger and holding on tight. 

“You know someday you’re going to have questions about where you came from, about how you came to be and I only hope that your father...and I can give you the respectful and honest answers you deserve. I love your father with all my heart despite how much he may have hurt me that’s never changed.  And how can I love Cane so completely still and not have those feeling spill over to you,” she finished with a sniff and the tears finally giving way to slide unchecked down her cheeks.


Lily catches her breath as she realizes in that moment when she pictured being there for Sam in the future she could see it in her minds eye plain as day and knew the answer simply is yes......

No comments: